SailNet Community - View Single Post - Premature impeller failure cause
View Single Post
Old 07-09-2012
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Re: Premature impeller failure cause

Pull off the cover plate and open the thull. You should get a good shot of water coming out of it. If you are not getting a lot of water out, you have an issue leading to it.

Typically in impeller failures, I see the bladdes get hot and fracture off - not the brass seperating. However, I have only seen two failures. Others may have seen this separation.

When I replace the impeller on my boat (which I religously do every 12 mos or 100 hrs), I put on the imeller with a lot of dish soap. THen I replace the cover and leave it loose. I open the Thull until water flows freely out of it, then tighten with the thull open to inure it is wet and well lubricated. I understand that you can burn up a impeller very quickly (60 seconds or so) if not well lubricated. That could cause premature failure.

Again, my first check would be to loosen the cover and open the thull and make sure water is gushing out. Good starting point.

Brian

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook