SailNet Community - View Single Post - Premature impeller failure cause
View Single Post
Old 07-09-2012
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Re: Premature impeller failure cause

Quote:
Originally Posted by LinekinBayCD View Post
I checked the strainer and pulled the hose off the thru hull. Got a gusher when I opened the sea **** so I think the water flow is good but maybe it's not good enough. Kind of like sucking through a thin straw vs a wider one?
I am beginning to suspect a product failure if you have followed the installation steps I discussed. Replace the impeller with Westerbeke parts. All I use are Yanmar direct parts - no aftermarket. Replace every 12 mos or 100 hours.

Replace your impeller as I described. Give her a good run for some hours. Open is and take a look at the impeller. Also, at 55ish HP, you should put out about 5 gallons of water/minute from the exhaust. Stick a bucket under there and see what you get. THat is what the specs are for Yanmar anyways, IIRC. CHeck out the amount with Westerbeke.

Hope these suggestions help. ALso, make sure your hose is not collapsing under higher rpms (from Thull/strainer to block).

Brian

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook