SailNet Community - View Single Post - Offshore Checklist
View Single Post
Old 07-10-2012
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road
Re: Offshore Checklist

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurphny View Post
Since I sail single-handed almost all the time, having things in the cockpit is the only option. Often there is no way to get below to retrieve anything until/if I can get the windvane set. You can imagine why the bucket is on deck:-) The anchor would only be stowed below if doing a major crossing. I think getting it out of the way is a good idea so that there is no possibility of it breaking loose and to clear the foredeck to use the sea anchor if necessary. Great idea about the bungee cords on hatches! Think I will do that instead of using the screws. You're absolutely right about it not being the best idea to cut off quick access to the bilge. It has always bothered me to screw them down but I have so much stuff down there that keeping it from getting out and flying around in a knockdown has been the priority. Items on the list can surely be adjusted depending on how far "offshore." I guess my idea of offshore is anywhere out of sight of land where you will be out over night(s). Killarney_sailor, if you use a SSB/Pactor/Sailmail, would be interested to know how your reception and transmission has been way out in the Pacific.
I am not the one to comment on Pactor. My SSB works fine and I can use the Pactor for weather faxes but no luck with Sailmail anywhere in spite of lots of expert advice. Still working on it.

My bungee setup is to have closed eyes into the bottom of the deck and a heavy cup hook thingy in the middle of the lift up part. Shock cord goes between the eyes and either goes through the hook or not depending on what you want.

I think you are expecting conditions to be much worse than they are. With a reliable steering vane you don't need a bucket on deck and most of the time the companionway is open.

I agree this is a useful discussion.