Old 07-10-2012
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
Re: Offshore Checklist

Quote:
Originally Posted by blowinstink View Post
Quote:
Trysail rigged w/ sheets/ready stowed but ready as it always is
I would like to have and try a trisail. If I had to guess the vast majority of offshore cruisers don't carry one these days. The Pardeys and others make a great case for one however. All who use them say you want to have a dedicated track on the mast
To my mind there are two major benefits of a trysail: 1. It protects the main so you have it to continue after the storm event and 2. It allows you to lash the boom down, preferably to gallows, so it isn't a headknocker. To be useful it does need its own track and to be rigged. That means more lines and more stuff to trip over. I chose a deep third reef in the main and have not regretted it in conditions to F9. I don't have a gallows so immobilizing the boom is problematic.

Quote:
Quote:
Storm jib rigged w/ sheets and ready
Much the same issue. With furling headsails, your storm jib is going to be an ATN. Rigged with sheets? I dunno how you do that. This is a sailing offshore list, not a prep for heavy wx once offshore list, right?
I think the ATN GaleSail is a really bad idea. Look at the video on the ATN site and consider the conditions in the background. Pretty benign, right? Now consider hauling that sail up on deck and forward in the worst weather you have been in, rigging the sail (wet sail, wet furled jib), running the sheets, and raising it (where is your halyard? how often do you think the sail will need attention at the furled jib on the way up?).

A much better solution is a removable inner forestay always rigged offshore with a staysail or storm jib rigged before you leave the dock.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Life raft up on deck and secured stowed but ready as it always is
I think there is a good case to be made that your life raft ought to be stored off-deck.
that is a different discussion. Mine is currently on deck, but I may move it so it is more easily accessible from the cockpit, less vulnerable to boarding waves and "where I want it when I need it"
I keep my raft and ditch bag under the companionway ladder. Choices.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Anchor stowed
Leave it where it belongs on the bow but lashed
I don't take my anchor off the bow - when I need it, I want it there. I don't even lash it down until I am safely offshore
I lash the anchor in the roller before heading offshore, but I want to be able to use it if I need it without having to haul a 55 pound lump of metal over a pitching deck.

Quote:
Quote:
RIB deflated and stowed
That seems to be conventional guidance, but I have found that tying the dinghy down inverted on the foredeck fully inflated results in significantly less motion and therefore chafe. It also gives me a good place to store the dinghy gas: lashed to the cabin top before dropping the dinghy on top of it. Outboard goes on the pushpit tightened down on a mounting board, tied down, and with a safety line to the engine hoist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurphny View Post
Since I sail single-handed almost all the time, having things in the cockpit is the only option.
I certainly do prep ahead but I don't drag everything into the cockpit. The more stuff the more potential for tripping, loss, or damage.

Quote:
if you use a SSB/Pactor/Sailmail, would be interested to know how your reception and transmission has been way out in the Pacific.
I can't speak to the Pacific from personal knowledge. I have used an SSB & Pactor with both Sailmail (marine) and Winlink (ham) across the Atlantic and along the US East Coast, the Bahamas, and the Caribbean. It has been dead nuts reliable. Outstanding performance. I've passed e-mail while crew with satphones were pounding on their laptops, and made ship-to-shore phone patches while they were shouting "can you hear me now?" into the phone. Good stuff.

I am aware that there are fewer shore stations in the Pacific than in the Western Hemisphere. You should still be able to make regular connections across the Pacific. Google for "rfax.pdf" for global weather fax schedules and frequencies and you'll be set.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by SVAuspicious; 07-10-2012 at 08:37 AM. Reason: reformatting for clarity
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook