SailNet Community - View Single Post - Hourly rate for Brightwork
View Single Post
Old 07-10-2012

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
Re: Hourly rate for Brightwork

As an Flight Instructor and boat owner, labor rates for the marine trades simply amaze me. The guy that maintains several airplanes I fly is FAA certficated as both an Aircraft Inspector (AI)(can determine serviceablity of the airframe) and Airframe and Powerplant Mechanic (can do the work, but not sign off for return to service). He has about 25 years experience on a wide variety of aircraft on top of his certificates. His shop rate is $65/hour. He does all the work himself, so he's not just signing off work performed by less skilled labor.

When it comes to boat service, you get billed $60+-$75 an hour for the most unskilled, yard monkey, possessing absolutely zero knowledge of your boat or its systems. No wonder skilled guys are so hard to find in the marine trades. If we boat owners will pay that rate for some guy the yard can pay minimum wage, why hire someone with some skill that commands a higher rate? From what I've seen, it seems most yards/contractors keep a minimum of skilled guys around and use flunkies for the balance of the workforce, but bill the same rate regardless of qualifications.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook