SailNet Community - View Single Post - Petter AC1WM - Any other owners? Tips and tricks?
View Single Post
Old 07-10-2012

NancySchwiesow is on a distinguished road
Re: Petter AC1WM - Any other owners? Tips and tricks?

We've enjoyed our AC1WM in a Balboa 8.2 for about 15 years. It's been reliable and easy starting.

There are reprints of some of the manuals on the web if you don't have them. R.A. Mitchell in New Bedford MA has been very helpful with parts. Are you aware of the fuel overload lever for easier starting? I made a linkage to activate it via flexible cable to avoid the need for direct access to the engine while starting. I replaced the copper washers on the banjo fittings on the secondary fuel filter with Parker stat-o-seal washers to avoid diesel seepage. Check the exhaust elbow. Ours rusted out from the inside. I replaced it with one from a salvage engine I have, but need to find new ones for both engines soon. The fuel system is self bleeding. You can circulate fuel back to the tank by operating a lever on the fuel lift pump with a finger without turning over the engine. I fit a standard zinc pencil from Hamilton with 3/8-16 male thread into the Petter plug with 7/16-18 female threads by jamming the threads with solder. This avoided the expensive Petter replacement.

Ron
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook