SailNet Community - View Single Post - Your thoughts on my A/C install plan/Mac25 1984
View Single Post
Old 07-10-2012
Sailing Member

ABK is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to ABK
Re: Your thoughts on my A/C install plan/Mac25 1984

The project has been completed. Just in time for the 100 degree weather last week. It was a 5000 btu unit and it works great at night. During the day it really can't keep up with the 90 -100 degree weather and i didn't expect it to. But in the evening, it worked like a charm.

I bought a Haier unit (99 bucks), made in China like everything else we buy. For some reason, there is no condensate to drain away. Although I was ready with a liner, tube, drill and grommet, it appears it is unneeded. I assume the condensate evaporates away during use. I didn't need to drill through the Lazerette (although on my vintage 1984 m25 it can only be used for storage anyway) into the bilge for the condensation.

It is located on the Starboard side flush with the bulkhead. I tried to seal the area off with styrofoam bit it was too thin to really handle and I scrapped the window shade idea (no insulation properities). I used some dense foam material that a kind gentleman at a packaging company donated to the cause. It was 100 degrees that day and he was a boat owner too. Also, I must have looked pathetic.

So, I was able to get cool on the cheap. I would have used a stand up model for$300 but it didnt fit where I needed it to go.

Thanks for the suggestions also...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook