SailNet Community - View Single Post - 104th Running of the Chicago / Mac
View Single Post
Old 07-10-2012

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
104th Running of the Chicago / Mac

The annual Chicago to Mackinaw Race will be starting in about one week.
http://www.cycracetomackinac.com/

For those of you that don't know, The Race is one of the oldest and largest fresh water races in the world. At over 330 Miles it is also the longest.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago...inac_Boat_Race

This year the race will include the entry of the vessel "Julianna". Julianna will be competing in the cruising division and will have a crew of Tim, Julie, T43C, Sailchick, Bubba2, & Izzy.

This whole idea was the brainstorm of Bubba and Izzy. I can take no credit for anything, as it was all their idea. (That way if things go South it is all their fault).

We are in the final stages of preparations for our start on 07/20. As a first time competitor I cannot believe the hoops required to jump through. We started our planning back in February after talking with representatives of the Chicago Yacht Club at The Strictly Sail Show. It started with "Requesting an Invitation" to Being Accepted and one last hurtles is the safety inspection. After that we are free to race.

Thanks again to Bubba and Izzy for organizing this, to the entire crew, and to all of those who show and continue to show support on our behalf.

My goal is to not finish last, but it is possible. Even in the Cruising Division the competition is intense. I heard the winner from our division last year just went out and spent over 20K on new sails. Oh well, so be it.
We go with help from Zephyrus.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook