SailNet Community - View Single Post - SF Bay at it's best/worst yesterday
View Single Post
Old 07-10-2012
Break, curse, fix, repeat

bwindrope is on a distinguished road
Re: SF Bay at it's best/worst yesterday

Sounds like a typical summer day on the bay to me! For years I taught sea kayaking out of Sausalito and made daily runs to Angel Island and longer runs around Alcatraz. On my own time out under the Gate and such. Now I've lived around the Salish Sea for a long time but other than the Straits of Juan de Fuca itself, I've never seen rough water here like in the throat of the Bay. So much of our water here is protected, which is one of the magical things about it, and our wind is benign much of the year.

Charlie is right about the 8 foot standing waves near tidal rips like Deception Pass, but that is small compared to what I've seen under the Golden Gate Bridge!!!

Scariest time I've had in a boat was in a Coronado 22 on a beautiful summer day on the Bay, while it was blowing snot against an ebb and all hell was breaking loose around Alcatraz. Absolutely white knuckle terrifying, but lived to tell the tale.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook