SailNet Community - View Single Post - SF Bay at it's best/worst yesterday
View Single Post
Old 07-10-2012

GeorgeB is on a distinguished road
Re: SF Bay at it's best/worst yesterday

Mark, we were out the last couple of weekends and our experience was the same – The Bay was in all its glory. Last weekend, all the winds south of the Bay Bridge seemed to be concentrated at the entrance to the Estuary which I attributed to that big high moving slightly westward. This was a more typical wind pattern for mid winter, with the exception that the wind machine in the slot was opened full throttle. There had also been some exceptional large tidal fluctuations and their resulting currents made the usual tidal rips that more strong and exciting.

A couple of weekends ago during the HDA-2 race we came close to broaching a couple of times in the big rip zone just to the east of the Golden Gate. I think we were the only boat in our division not to wipe out there and we hung on to sail at 10+ kts all the way to Red #2 (not bad for a 47 year old Cal 40!) Years, years ago I had the distinct displeasure of sailing my little 22 for twenty minutes to get from the west to the east end of the South Tower’s bridge pier. It didn’t matter that I had near twenty kts of wind behind me when my boat was battling against a 4-5 kt ebb current. Good times.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook