SailNet Community - View Single Post - Preparations for a Manhattan to Nantucket straight through passage on the south side
View Single Post
Old 07-10-2012

tommays will become famous soon enough
Re: Preparations for a Manhattan to Nantucket straight through passage on the south s

Once you sail past toys are us THATS IT till Montalk and it gets freaking cold at night even in July and August on the south shore ocean

remember its daytime in July and theres gonna be more ships and fishing trawlers than you can count all the way out

In the absolutely best case scenario its 24 hours on a 35' boat from the Verrazano bridge to around Montalk and anyplace you can stop IF you make the current around Montalk

With a bad wind direction we had VMG to Montalk (speed made good) as low as 2 knots

REALLY on a 25' IF you get perfect conditions ? theres just so many more safe places on the LI sound for a small boat to make the trip and have a great time

The longest i have tillered my J24 is 36 Miles in about 6.5 hours on the sound and i was beat to crap

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by tommays; 07-10-2012 at 09:45 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook