SailNet Community - View Single Post - questions about surveys
View Single Post
Old 11-08-2006
Just a Member

primerate84 is on a distinguished road
I just went through the survey process for a Catalina 30 that I bought. The price for the survey was $17 per foot or $510. It was an extensive survey, but as mentioned above, it did not include the engine. It does require you have the boat hauled out if it is currently in a slip and that is an additional charge. This enables the bottom, rudder, prop, cutless bearing, seacocks, etc to be inspected. My survey included many photos of each area and a recommendation summary for repairs. Fortunately for me, it did not uncover anything major and I was able to get insurance coverage. (My boat is an 1983.) Although, it seems to be an expensive proposition, it may save you significant money in the long run. Ans as was mentioned, you probably can not get insurance coverage without one, and therefore, you could not get a bank to finance you without a loss payee clause on your insurance. (Kind of a Catch-22.) If you would like to read my survey, e-mail me with your e-mail address and I'll forward a copy for your review. My e-mail is mvynalek@hotmail.com.

Good luck.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook