SailNet Community - View Single Post - Stylish and effective sailing hat
View Single Post
Old 07-11-2012
SERIOUS SAILOR

JoeDiver is on a distinguished road
Re: Stylish and effective sailing hat

I also have and use the Columbia Boonie...it'e a great hat, very lightweight, wicks sweat away super fast, great sun protection....

The only problem is it is so lightweight, the brim isn't strong enough to stay put in a decent wind. The brim either flips up, exposing the face, or flips down and you can't see.

In very, very light winds, or no winds at all, it's better than the Tilley....and it's black underneath which is a big help under full sun.

I also wear Columbia shirts when sailing. I prefer white or light tan, and I only buy the long sleeves to give me options. Under the blazing Texas summer sun, the rare occasion when I'm out in it, I have the sleeves down for maximum sun protection. I love these shirts...they're so cool when wet and get hit with a breeze. I've tried the knock off brands....I buy at Academy....and they're just not as good as the name brand Columbia. The fabric, at first, seems the same...but it's not...no, it's not.....so I only buy Columbia now. Only need a few of them anyway....

Great shirt, shorts, shoes and hat.....sure makes a day of sailing so much more enjoyable....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1982 Catalina 25 #2897
FK/SR/Traditional
Eagle Mountain Lake, Texas
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook