SailNet Community - View Single Post - My dream has always been to live on a sailboat. Tips please
View Single Post
Old 07-11-2012

jaman5 is on a distinguished road
My dream has always been to live on a sailboat. Tips please

I have always had a dream of living on a sailboat at some point in my life and looking into it very seriously now that i have recently turned 21. I started competing as a swimmer when i was 3 1/2 years old and ever since then my comfort place has always been by or in the water. Also these past two summers i have been working towards my dive-master certs and absolutely love it. I am very savvy when it comes to boats having been raised on the lake, but have no experience in sailing or sailboats; except a sailing trip to Catalina island when i was about 15.

I'm looking at boats anywhere from 25 to 30 feet, but i am kind of on a tight budget so i am planning on one that will need some elbow grease and love put into her. I actually prefer this too though because it will have that much more meaning to my dream.

I am looking for some suggestions and help with what to really look at when buying a used boat, and also what brands would best be suited for what I am looking for. To start i would be learning to sail, studying, and practicing, but once i am to this point i would mainly be using the boat in a lake but would want one that i will be able to take out in the ocean to travel in someday.

I appreciate any help and advise.
Thank you!
Jared
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook