SailNet Community - View Single Post - The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising??
View Single Post
Old 07-12-2012

aeventyr60 is on a distinguished road
Re: The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising??

Quote:
Originally Posted by puddinlegs View Post
Year round sailing. You need cabin heat and good foulies. Better cruising than the SF area for sure.

Tough thread. Having worked and sailed a lot with 'younger' folks, personally, I just don't get all the slagging of the 20 somethings. A lot of it seems to be anecdotal information from crap like Huffpost and Fox about how crappy the uppity youngsters are. I just haven't found it to be true. The ones I know seem very focused, motivated, working hard trying to keep ahead in a truly uncertain and wild west economic environment. Just read about a young woman sailing and surfing her way around Mexico in something like a Catalina 23. I guess I've just had enough of the previous generation complaining about the next. It's old, it's tired, and makes me wonder if people even spend significant time with or know anyone under 40. If you're over 40, you have the good fortune of hindsight which makes many of the younger generations 'follies in progress' painful to watch. You know why? We've already been there and done that, but we forgot because somehow we've muddled through and all we have left are our very selective memories... if that. So to all of you pissing and moaning about the younger folks, I say get some out sailing with you. If they aren't interested in sailing with you, it's more than likely because you're too busy 'telling' and not listening or actually conversing. Will you meet some who really are tools? Sure, but not to any extent greater than you would have 20 or 30 years ago... hell, a 100 for that matter.

For any of you 20 somethings that would like to experience the cruising lifestyle and just happen to be in Asia in the next year or so let me know. You will be welcome to join AEVENTYR for a 1 Week trip, all onboard expenses paid, just get here. Limited to 1 young person only, any nationallity, race, creed, sex etc....PM me for the details.
Sorry, Smackdaddy you be too old for this one!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook