SailNet Community - View Single Post - The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising??
View Single Post
Old 07-12-2012

chall03 will become famous soon enough
Re: The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising??

Yes costs of living is high, Yes inflation has overtaken wage growth, yes the economy is in the shite, yes we all have less leisure time, yes mortgages are hard, BUT I think it does come down to the individual and how badly you want it.

Our story is this.

My wife and I are living in a extremely expensive city by both national and worldwide standards. In our twenties we worked hard and while all our friends were complaining that no one our age could buy a place in this city, we scrimped and saved and did the overtime on the weekends and bought a dump of an apartment. We then spent our weekends working on the place, doing what we could.

Similarly we never though we could own a boat in our twenties, but again we saved and scrimped and bought something that wasn't pretty and needed work. We didn't have flash cars or cool holidays and for our first wedding anniversary I brought my beloved takeaway pizza and beer while repainting our antifoul.

Now in our 30s we have started our family, we own a small house, a beat up cruising boat that we were cruising the Queensland coast on last year and have structured our careers so that we can continue to have extended periods of time off to go cruising.

We are not rich. We have always just worked hard with moderate incomes and while we have perhaps had some luck we have also made life decisions over a 10 year period, sacrificed where we have had to, and stuck to our guns.

I say this not to blow smoke up my own ass, but to hopefully inspire those who are young and want to go cruising that it is doable.

To quote a Gen X/Y Icon Yoda "Do or do not. There is no try"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by chall03; 07-12-2012 at 09:04 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook