SailNet Community - View Single Post - The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising??
View Single Post
Old 07-12-2012

youmeandthed is on a distinguished road
Re: The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising??

Quote:
What does hearten me, being the over- 40, non- Huffington post reading, listening conversationalist that I am, is the flurry of teen circumnavigation that we haven't seen before...ever. I hope that over the next decade this translates into more interest, plants seeds that will grow the next generation of adventurers.
I think this might be exsactly the reason younger generations are so messed up. Dad says to his little girl "Abby, wouldn't you like to sail around the world?"

"Yes Daddy, that would be amazing!"
"Well we better get you on a 5 year training plan and buy you a boat that I can equip up for you, I think $500k should be enough for a good boat."

This is not inspiring in the least, in fact it is further building the sterotype that you need a financier backing you to get out there and sail.

I am way more social now that I am cruising and away from TV, and a cubicle.

I think the drivers licence thing has more to do with apathy for a system that is complicated and expensive. The functionality of a car has not changed, but they are boring (silver, grey, black) and about as fun as a work cubicle. Another reason may be the push in society for everyone to think the same, look the same, and act the same. We are conditioned from kindergarden to be well behaved citizens. I think I was the first kid to ever get sent to the principals office in kindergarden, and now I'm 27, living on a boat in Panama, have a gorgeous and sane wife, and still have an apartment in one of the most expensive cities in the world. Plus two conformist university degrees. Creativity and outside the box thinking is dead in generation Y. This generation is too conditioned to follow "the rules".

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook