SailNet Community - View Single Post - Fond Fairwell
Thread: Fond Fairwell
View Single Post
Old 07-12-2012

flyingwelshman will become famous soon enough
Re: Fond Fairwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEMIJim View Post
At the risk of provoking those who believe that anybody who owns a sailboat, even if she's just permanently parked in their slip or driveway, or believes that somebody who's simply vaguely aware of what a sailboat is ("That's one of those funny-looking boats with sheets hung all over it, right?") qualifies the individual as a "sailor": Yeah: Much of this thread is probably rather demonstrating his point, I imagine.

Personally: I spend time on sailing-related sites primarily to learn things about sailing and sailboats, and to share what useful things about sailing and sailboats I can. Stupidity and BS can hold my attention for only so long. The pointless blathering of dilettantes holds no interest for me whatsoever.

I cannot speak for c2s or any other the others who, if they haven't departed SN entirely, certainly spend far less time here than they used to, but I do know, from comments made to me by some of them, that, yes: Some of what's found in this thread provides an excellent example of why they've chosen to absent themselves.

Jim
dil∑et∑tante
   [dil-i-tahnt, dil-i-tahnt, -tahn-tey, -tan-tee] noun, plural dil∑et∑tantes, dil∑et∑tan∑ti  [-tahn-tee] adjective
noun
1. a person who takes up an art, activity, or subject merely for amusement, especially in a desultory or superficial way; dabbler.
2. a lover of an art or science, especially of a fine art.
Synonyms
1. amateur.

Now, seeing as most of us here are amateur sailors thus: 'dilettantes', I don't get your point.

I would be very concerned about the qualities of a 'professional' sailor who relies on Sailnet - or other comparable site - for their sailing information.

Speaking for myself: I participate on this site, as I sail: for fun. In both activities I learn a lot, but, at the end of the day, neither of them are chores.

You must be a real joy on a romantic, starlit cruise:

Your SO: "Darling, just look at all of those stars glistening in the heavens like the tears of angels."

You: "Enough of that dilettante blather. Have you finished working out the declination and sidereal hour angle of Zubenelgenubi yet?"

The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever. - Jacques Yves Cousteau