SailNet Community - View Single Post - Premature impeller failure cause
View Single Post
Old 07-12-2012

GaryHLucas is on a distinguished road
Re: Premature impeller failure cause

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad View Post
Gary,

I don't know if you are right, but that was the best troubleshooting thoughts I have heard in a long time! Great thoughts!

Brian
Brian,
Thanks! My dad started me out troubleshooting electrical when I was just a kid. He'd send me out on jobs with no electrical drawings, only drawings in foreign languages, or where the wires disappeared in holes going who knows where.

My favorite was when I was about 19 and he sent me to a city sewer plant to troubleshoot a boiler. It didn't help that I looked more like 12! I was convinced that the problem had something to to do with two wires that went to the corner of the drawing, which was torn off. The plant manager was giving me a hard time and asking when someone qualified was going to show up. I said I'd be back the next day with my dad. We came back and I went over everything I had found with dad. Suddenly I realized what was on the missing corner of the drawing. I announced that the problem was the thermostat in the office on the other side of the wall. The plant manager said "Yeah right!" I walked over and turned up the thermostat and the boiler immediately misfired and shut down! An unusual set of weather conditions had triggered the problem.

Dad looked at his watch and says to me "Hey you better get going, you have a plane to catch." Then he explains to the plant manager "He has a trouble call to go on for a chemical company in California." The look on his face was priceless. They told me they needed me for a couple of days, I was out there 2 months!

Gary H. Lucas
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook