SailNet Community - View Single Post - Cockpit COMFORT - folding seats, cushions, etc?
View Single Post
Old 07-13-2012

mstern is on a distinguished road
Re: Cockpit COMFORT - folding seats, cushions, etc?

I bought two Sport-a-Seats at a boat show (saved $20); they aren't cheap, but they are the only things I ever bought for the boat that my wife really likes. Comfortable, durable and thoroughly worth the price. I understand that the West Marine versions have greatly improved. I used one on someone else's boat a few years ago, and it was crap; I sat on a newer version in a store not to long ago, and they definitely have improved the cushioning. Also, the West Marine seat has a storage pocket and it folds in half for easier transport (the Sport a seat does not). However, when you compare the two side by side, the differences are obvious: you can feel the frame in the West Marine seat through the cushion, and you can hear the difference in the quality of the ratchet. The Sport a Seat is just a better-made product. This is not to say that its the best choice for everyone, just that its a higher end unit. At $50, I think the West Marine seat is a good value. In any case, having a couple of these chairs on your boat is a very good thing indeed.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook