SailNet Community - View Single Post - Preparations for a Manhattan to Nantucket straight through passage on the south side
View Single Post
Old 07-13-2012

CBinRI is on a distinguished road
Re: Preparations for a Manhattan to Nantucket straight through passage on the south s

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterchech View Post
haha sorry but that is exactly what I am NOT trying to do. Remember, the whole point is to get some offshore experience. The lack of very close harbors if something goes wrong is a part of that. I will bring my tools/sail repair kit and be careful about the weather, but the whole point of this exercise is to get some experience away from shore/harbors.

My main concern, frankly, is hitting something and holing the hull miles from shore, esp since I have no liferaft. Are there any recommendations for what to carry in such a contingency? I have seen the yachtworld videos about putting a sail over the outside of the hull (harder than it sounds apparently), and about trying to stem the flooding from the inside as well, but is there anything I can carry with me to temporarily plug a hole if it were to happen?
Offshore experience on a 25 foot boat? Your call but not sure I get it.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook