SailNet Community - View Single Post - Shameless plug II. Yes. Everyone has one.
View Single Post
Old 07-13-2012

puddinlegs is on a distinguished road
Re: Shameless plug II. Yes. Everyone has one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccriders View Post
Caleb,
Looking at you photos, I find it interesting that you reef the jib before the main? Am I reading that correctly? If so, that is the opposite of what I do, which makes me wonder if that is one of the differences between higher vs lower aspect ratio keel.
The Tartan 27 is a really cool looking boat, one I was drawn to when I went boat shopping six years ago. But there was only one available here in South Texas and the owner was a "reluctant" seller, so no deal.
I experienced the new sail syndrome two years ago. Its a great feeling second only to a new bottom job. I think we are all racers at heart.
John
I'm willing to guess it's simply choosing the 'easiest' option to reduce some sail. Ironically, if he had his new main on in the photo, he could have flattened it very effectively as the first step before reducing anything at all. Old, blown out sails lead to not only poor boat performance, but poor boat control as well.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook