Thread: Fond Fairwell
View Single Post
Old 07-13-2012

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
Re: Fond Fairwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwelshman View Post
dil∑et∑tante
   [dil-i-tahnt, dil-i-tahnt, -tahn-tey, -tan-tee] noun, plural dil∑et∑tantes, dil∑et∑tan∑ti  [-tahn-tee] adjective
noun
1. a person who takes up an art, activity, or subject merely for amusement, especially in a desultory or superficial way; dabbler.
Now, seeing as most of us here are amateur sailors thus: 'dilettantes', I don't get your point.
See the emphasized bit. That was the context in which I am using the word.

Quote:
I would be very concerned about the qualities of a 'professional' sailor who relies on Sailnet - or other comparable site - for their sailing information.
I suppose that may be a function of to whom, on SN or any other sailing-related site, you look for guidance, and your ability to separate the wheat from the chaff. Personally, I've learned a lot, both here and on (counting...) four other sailing sites and two or three powerboating or general boating sites.

Quote:
Speaking for myself: I participate on this site, as I sail: for fun.
As do I. But it's a recreational pastime I take somewhat seriously. Out boat, her crew, the other boats on the water: They are all my responsibility.

Quote:
In both activities I learn a lot, but, at the end of the day, neither of them are chores.
You never swab the decks, change her aux power's oil and stuff like that?

Quote:
You must be a real joy on a romantic, starlit cruise:

Your SO: "Darling, just look at all of those stars glistening in the heavens like the tears of angels."

You: "Enough of that dilettante blather. Have you finished working out the declination and sidereal hour angle of Zubenelgenubi yet?"

Jim