Thread: Fond Fairwell
View Single Post
post #204 of Old 07-13-2012
SEMIJim

Re: Fond Fairwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwelshman View Post
dil·et·tante
   [dil-i-tahnt, dil-i-tahnt, -tahn-tey, -tan-tee] noun, plural dil·et·tantes, dil·et·tan·ti  [-tahn-tee] adjective
noun
1. a person who takes up an art, activity, or subject merely for amusement, especially in a desultory or superficial way; dabbler.
Now, seeing as most of us here are amateur sailors thus: 'dilettantes', I don't get your point.
See the emphasized bit. That was the context in which I am using the word.

Quote:
I would be very concerned about the qualities of a 'professional' sailor who relies on Sailnet - or other comparable site - for their sailing information.
I suppose that may be a function of to whom, on SN or any other sailing-related site, you look for guidance, and your ability to separate the wheat from the chaff. Personally, I've learned a lot, both here and on (counting...) four other sailing sites and two or three powerboating or general boating sites.

Quote:
Speaking for myself: I participate on this site, as I sail: for fun.
As do I. But it's a recreational pastime I take somewhat seriously. Out boat, her crew, the other boats on the water: They are all my responsibility.

Quote:
In both activities I learn a lot, but, at the end of the day, neither of them are chores.
You never swab the decks, change her aux power's oil and stuff like that?

Quote:
You must be a real joy on a romantic, starlit cruise:

Your SO: "Darling, just look at all of those stars glistening in the heavens like the tears of angels."

You: "Enough of that dilettante blather. Have you finished working out the declination and sidereal hour angle of Zubenelgenubi yet?"

Jim

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome