SailNet Community - View Single Post - The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising??
View Single Post
Old 07-13-2012

peterchech is on a distinguished road
Re: The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising??

NOTHING IN LIFE IS "REAL SIMPLE"

This is a typical display of a strong opinion without presenting any objective empirical evidence supporting those beliefs.

Judgmental and self rightous anecdotes involving some other people's kids who you kind of know isn't a great basis for such strong opinions. Yet that seems to be the basis of most posts made here about those "lazy" gen Y'ers.

Reminds me alot of Fox news, a channel very popular in some of the older age groups... fair and balanced ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
It's real simple. People without a driver's license don't buy cars. people living at home don't buy homes. no cars and no homes means no furniture, no appliances, no trailers, etc...
Therefore the impact of their unemployment on the economy overall is negligible.

Your own example shows that 35-44 is STILL impacted. Until Gen X feels comfortable with sepnding money, the economy si gonna be stadning still, and it is hard for gen X to feel comfortable when their coddled helicoptered, no summer-job-having non-driving, liberal arts grad kids are still living at home.

SWMBO and I have two kids, a 19 year old son and a 17 year old daughter. For almost half a decade they have been the only members of their peer group who have had to have summer jobs, part time jobs or volunteer jobs. That fact simultaneously stuns me, and makes me very proud of them.
Yes, they hate me. I am okay with that.

Last edited by peterchech; 07-13-2012 at 03:05 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook