View Single Post
Old 07-13-2012

Michael J Roberts is on a distinguished road
Re: Danger - greek taxes

Hi all

We are free, before I tell the story, here are some facts:
1. our boat is 14m long
2. we arrived in Rhodes in 2003 from Turkey and got a Transit Log
3. we sail about ten weeks a year then put the boat on the hard and lodge our Transit Log with the Preveza customs
4. we get our Transit Log stamped once or twice each year as we potter aroun the Ionian
5. in all that time no Port Police have ever asked us to pay the Reciprocal Tax
6. two years ago we were given a photocopy of the law by the Zakinthos Police but no mention was made about paying anything

Now the story. We sat in dread for about five days, watched over by a big coast guard boat (this could be my paranoia). Then we rang the local lawyer we had asked to help us. She was ill, out of action for days, days we could not endure. So we went to the Port Police, I had 1,000 euros in cash in a plastic bag in my pocket. We spoke to the head policeman, he was sympathetic, there were no other goons in the office except one young guy who interpreted. The mood was different: "Of course we didn't expect you to come up with 9,500 euros" Within minutes a deal was done - we would pay the first year's tax and "Put that money away, you take it to the Tax Office in the square." Every thing was done very correctly - pay the cash at the Tax Office, take the receipt back to the Police.

The calculation is this 14.68 euros per meter x 14 meters x 4 lots of three months + 23% tax = 1010 euros.

We have eight years to go and every year another 1010 euros will be added.

The Port Police seem to have a procedures manual called "Yachtsmen" - this contains the law. Do not be confused with another law which exemts boats under 15m - this "Special Tax" law was repealed two years ago.

When I get back to Sydney in August I will scan the documents detailing the law and send them to anyone who is interested.

Happy sailing all
Michael
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook