SailNet Community - View Single Post - 32' Trimaran - $22k
View Single Post
Old 07-13-2012

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Re: 32' Trimaran - $22k

I really love small trimarrans in a totally irrational way. (I once designed a 23 footer so that be constructed in a friend's living room but that's another story) And this looks like a very nice one at a seemingly reasonable asking price......[

BUT (and that is a very big but) small trimarrans make lousy distance cruisers. No matter how spartan you are willing to live, a live aboard or a long distance cruiser needs to be able to hold a whole bunch of stuff; sailing gear, ground tackle, water, fuel, food and a place to cook it, and a place to dispose of the above and so on. And that is where small tri's lose out.

In large part, Tri's get their speed and safety from having narrow, low resistance hulls with minimal weight. These hullforms do not provide a lot of living space, but even more significantly, they do not provide a lot of surplus carrying capacity. To get up to a reasonable level of living space and carrying capacity, tri's need to get pretty large.

And the thing is that tri's are comparatively expensive to build. They require careful construction if they are going to be strong and light enough. They require good materials and a great design if they are going to sail well and be sturdy. And collectively, that makes for a comparatively expensive live aboard.

There are old pivers and browns out there at comparatively low prices, but these do not offer the performance gains of a boat like the one in question, and can be serious money pits besides.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook