SailNet Community - View Single Post - Stylish and effective sailing hat
View Single Post
Old 07-13-2012

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
Re: Stylish and effective sailing hat

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Jim, the reason that hat sells for 1/2 the price of a Tilley?

Is, nothing personal, because you have an average head.
Actually, I do not. Not only do I take a larger hat size (yeah, yeah, I have a big head), but my head shape is what they call a "long oval." So finding hats that fit me well can be very difficult.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
"One size fits all" it says.
I think, elsewhere, it more accurately reads "One size fits most." The way that's accomplished is with a stretchy drawstring in the "headband" portion of the hat. That has the added advantage of making it very easy to make the hat more or less snug, as the mood strikes.

I was sceptical, myself, but pleasantly surprised at how well it worked out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDiver View Post
I also have and use the Columbia Boonie...it'e a great hat, very lightweight, wicks sweat away super fast, great sun protection....
Indeed. It's remarkable at how cool that hat helps you stay in hot, sunny weather.

Quote:
The only problem is it is so lightweight, the brim isn't strong enough to stay put in a decent wind. The brim either flips up, exposing the face, or flips down and you can't see.
Yeah, the brim is a mite floppy. But I've had that problem with pretty much every hat of that general style I've ever tried.

Quote:
I also wear Columbia shirts when sailing. I prefer white or light tan, and I only buy the long sleeves to give me options. Under the blazing Texas summer sun, the rare occasion when I'm out in it, I have the sleeves down for maximum sun protection. I love these shirts...they're so cool when wet and get hit with a breeze.
Hmmm... I'll have to give one of them a try.

Jim
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook