SailNet Community - View Single Post - Tell us yer Sea Stories
View Single Post
Old 07-14-2012

Sea Dawg is on a distinguished road
Tell us yer Sea Stories

Post your harrowing experiences, squalls, docking incidents, lessons learned, fires, mishaps, groundings and what makes you wonder why we do it. I'll start with one that happened years ago...

So we're on Cherrystone Point on only my second trip across Chesapeake Bay and invited my best friend and his brother along in a convoy of rented 23'Columbia and 25'Similar boat. We've only beached the shoal vessels briefly for the evening when we see a squall heading down the bay with lots of lightening. We decided to anchor off and avoid heaving onto land (might have been ok). Both boats tossed as the squall came on us faster than we could set anchors or even get into anchoring position. One outboard motor quit and we had to anchor now or crash onto shore. As my friends brother was on deck I had him pay out anchor line as I laid out plenty of scope lest we break loose. He was doing well as we got enough scope out to hold us off the beach and I was about to cinch the anchor line he hands me the bitter end and says, "That's then end..." THE END? I thought, THE END! as I had a 25' boat bucking to free itself from a well dug in anchor and 35 knot winds....
We tied the boats together for the next few minutes and the storm passed as quickly as it came.
Lesson #1 don't assume the anchor is attached. I believe I expected a little warning as we approached the end of the anchor line, but maybe not. I suppose it might be good to check the anchor in the well is attached.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook