SailNet Community - View Single Post - Raymarine SeaTalk Troubleshooting
View Single Post
Old 07-15-2012

tibtib is on a distinguished road
Raymarine SeaTalk Troubleshooting

I have been trying unsuccessfully to track down a problem and don't know where to go next.

Everything was working fine when the boat was hauled last fall, but when it came time to launch several weeks ago things were not so fine.

I have a Pearson sailboat with RL70 and RL70RC chartplotters and gps installed by the previous owner about 11 years ago. Autopilot is ST4000+ which i believe was installed at the same time. Instruments are ST60+ wind, speed and depth indicators installed 4 years ago.

The autopilot indicates "Seatalk fail" and displays a heading of 099 degrees. The chartplotters show "No Fix" (gps) and when I select GPS setup (normally displays satellite info) the screen is blank. When I select display of instrument data, there is no information shown. The individual instrument displays are working properly.

I have tried connecting various components to rule out cable or equipment failure but nothing has worked.

Chartplotter connected to GPS (instruments and autopilot disconnected).
Chartplotter connected to one or more instruments (gps and autopilot disconnected).
Autopilot connected to one or more instruments (chartplotters and gps disconnected).

Always have the same results/displays as noted above. The seatalk cables that are connected during these tests always show correct dc voltage on them, and unused cables are completely disconnected for this testing.

What are the next steps in troubleshooting this situation? I have looked for detailed information about seatalk but haven't found any resources to take me beyond the steps i have already tried.

One more thing - the boat was stored with the mast removed, so it is extremely unlikely that there was any kind of lightning strike to cause these problems. I noticed the trouble before the mast was reinstalled. Masthead wind sensors and radar are working ok.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook