SailNet Community - View Single Post - 3M VHB Bonding Tape
View Single Post
Old 07-16-2012

asdf38 is on a distinguished road
Re: 3M VHB Bonding Tape

I've been using Scotch Exterior Mounting tape, 4010 (clear "2lbs"), and 4011 (Grey "5 lbs") for a couple years on various projects. I recently used 4011 to mount my VHF to the celing of the boat, mount the winch handle holder, mount the fuse panel to the inside of the hull liner and mount numerous adhesive wire tie wraps (having scraped off the cheap white foam tape). So far I've been really happy with it. I'm also pleased to know that worst-case a knife or paint scraper will always be able to slice through the foam for removal.

Two days ago I noticed "20lb" Extreme exterior mounting tape in Home Depot which prompted me to do a little more research into it. The important thing I discovered is that the entire line of "industrial" VHB tape is available at McMaster-Carr (If you haven't used McMaster, they are a fantastic website)

What's still not clear is how these in-store versions compare to the industrial marketed VHB tapes. But 3M has these documents outlining their industrial line of VHB tapes at this website:

3M

http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/mediawe...6EVs6E666666--
http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/mediawe...0Low%20Res.pdf

A few notes:
-They range from 55 to 160psi
-As mentioned, 3M does specify them as holding up to weather and UV
-The various version come in different colors, foam thicknesses and foam firmness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3M
Resists all of the following:
- High temperature
- Cold
- Temperature cycling
- UV light
- Moisture and solvents
• Seal against environmental
conditions
• Prevent bi-metallic corrosion
• Damp vibration to prevent
metal fatigue
• Compensate for differential
of thermal expansion
Another interesting feature:
Quote:
They behave stronger with relatively faster rate of stress load (dynamic
stresses) and will tend to show creep behavior with stress load acting over a long period of time (static stresses)
This is actually something I'd noticed which is a nice feature for mounting applications. For example if I bang my VHF with my elbow the tape will be at its best at the point of impact (the flexible nature of the foam helps as well), but if I want to move the VHF a sustained pull will probably be able to free it.

Basically the entire line of VHB tape is available at both McMaster and Digikey. I'll be trying out some true industrial VHB as soon as I put in my next mcmaster order (Note: McMaster won't tell you shipping charges until they actually ship but I'd expect $5-$10 for the tape based on my previous orders of small items)

McMaster-Carr

Last edited by asdf38; 07-16-2012 at 01:55 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook