SailNet Community - View Single Post - Would like some more info.
View Single Post
Old 07-16-2012

-Archangel- is on a distinguished road
Re: Would like some more info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacap06 View Post
To start, We need to understand what kind of sailing you want to do and where.

Will you sail on sheltered waters, such as a lake? Will you you be sailing semi-sheltered waters such as the Great Lakes or a large bay? What about coastal cruising? Do you want to trailer your boat to many different locations?

Do you want to only do day sails with maybe a weekend? Do you want to cruise to nearby or far away locations? If you want to cruise, how long do you want to spend on the boat? How many should it sleep? How much storage? Galley -- cook for how many? How much cooking do you want to do? Are you an accomplished chef, a baloney+cheese / PBJ kind of guy, or somewhere in between? What about A/C, a genset? Will you always tie up at a dock or will you anchor out -- determines reefer size and water requirements. Will you be sailing days at a time? Affects food requirements and holding tank capacity.

How important is speed to you? Do you intend to race?

How many people will usually accompany you? That determines capacity. Will you need to single hand? That limits size, and/or adds equipment requirements.

How tall are you and your crew? Do you require enough height in the boat to stand up straight?

There more I could ask, but that's enough to get started.

Regards,

Tom
The boat would be use for coastal cruising and does not need a trailer, since it will be moored in a marina. I want it to be able cruise with it to both near and far locations. It should sleep 4-5 people preferably and have decent storage. I would like to do some cooking on it, and as for my cooking skill probably somewhere in between. It would need heating if it would be used in the winter months in the Pacific northwest. I would like to sail for a days at a time (like 3-4 at most) with it. As for speed, I would be happy with 7 knts and it would not be used for racing.
I don't know how many would usually be accompany me but I would like to be able to take the boat out solo.
I would like decent height on the interior to stand up, but i could also live without if it means she is hard to handle.

thanks Tom for the questions.

Last edited by -Archangel-; 07-16-2012 at 05:03 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook