SailNet Community - View Single Post - Light Air or Heavy Air - What's Most Frustrating?
View Single Post
Old 07-16-2012
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Re: Light Air or Heavy Air - What's Most Frustrating?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabreman View Post
We read lots about the dangers and challenges of heavy air sailing. But what about light air sailing? Which do you consider (and why) to be more challenging?

For purposes of this discussion, I'll define heavy air as sustained 25-35kts and the sea state that often accompanies it. I do not mean survival conditions (35+). I'll define light air as 0-5kts.

For my part, I find light air sailing the most challenging because if the infinite amount of patience involved. Especially light air racing. In heavier winds, there is always something to do to improve the boat's ride. I can even fool myself into believing that motion (mine) equals progress (improving the boat's performance). But light air? Makes me want to scream.
As a cruiser and Live aboard, heavy air is more frustrating! I can motor through light airs. But in heavy air, I have legos going everywhere and inevitably, someone gets sick! Plus, you can grill in light airs!!!

See the two happy faces below? THat is light air sailing (motoring). THe unhappy face is because he didn't want THanksgiving dinner twice in a row!!

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook