SailNet Community - View Single Post - cooking on a boat
View Single Post
Old 07-16-2012
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Re: cooking on a boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerebpa View Post
So I'm woundering what you do while cruising for food. I currently have a two burner stove but would like a stove. I got a camp stove and have been experemting at home but think it's too big for mt 25' boat. I'm planning on living aboard in a few years and want to know if there are other options since the boat is small. Let me know what you are doing. I've lived on it for a week every summer but want to know what you cook, store, need and don't need, and how you eat. I don't eat out much and live on beans, rice and soy milk on the boat but want more variety. What are your thoughts?
Full time cruiser and live aboard. Two kids. Wife. Fat bulldog.

We honestly don't use the stove much. We are in FL. FOr one thing, as mentioned above, it heats up the whole cabin. When anchored out, it really makes it uncomfortable down below. We are HUGE fans of grills. I carry two. It gets the heat outside and gets people out of the boat. If it is raining, we can sub a cast iron skillet (a must on a boat) for the grill for most things. We will use the oven sometimes, but more for caseroles or things like baked chicken.

If you can get an inverter, I really like crock pots and microwaves for the boat. Crock pots properly secured can really make a nice meal and the microwave (in my opinion) is the best way to cook for using the least amount of energy and heat. We do most (most) of our veggies in the microwave as it is quick and does not generate heat. Plus, we have a large solar array (and generator) to keep the propane use low.

We carry a pressure cooker, but honestly, never use it a lot. We always seem to cook things to oblivion in it. ALso, I have seen one of those partially explode (the vent thing on top got stuck and the thing blew out its pressure gauge) and made a horrendous mess. Was in a house, not a boat, but gawd what a mess. You better keep a close eye on that thing when using it on a boat.

Hope that helps.

Brian

PS FOr beans, I probably would use a pressure cooker... but I am not a big bean eater.

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook