SailNet Community - View Single Post - Gulf Crossings
Thread: Gulf Crossings
View Single Post
Old 07-17-2012

CapnBilll is on a distinguished road
Re: Gulf Crossings

90% of Mexico is off of my list, but I flew to Cozemel a couple of weeks ago to check it out. They are still working hard to protect the island, and keep the area safe for tourism.

There were a lot of boats, and numerous ex-pats that said it, (the island), was still safe. And I wandered all over the island in a rental jeep, no problems.

I can't vouch for the future, as their legal, (political), system needs some work, but for now the locals still look out for the tourists.

I figure it will be a good challenging passage.

The idea of going to the Gardens, and hanging a left is a good one. I've gone out there several times fishing, and planned to take that route, as I am very familiar with the water, and rig locations up to there.

The idea of coastal sailing down Florida, even though The most likely course will only be a couple of hundred miles west of the Florida coastline, I really didn't want to coast hop.

I am planning to coast hop to Florida and back as a trial run. (going the same distance, but within reach of repairs until I am confident in the boat).

I haven't picked a boat yet, (my current one is too small for that ambitious a venture), but there are several full keeled solid cruisers in my price range.

Right now I am planning the next 5 years voyaging, and really want a good Gulf crossing under my belt, (maybe as a crew?).