View Single Post
Old 07-17-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Re: nautical language rant

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbleheadMd View Post
I am in total agreement.

I have told my racing crew that although sailing terminology is arcane, it's still totally functional and will be used.

I told them that after their first couple of races, that I will stop referring to things as "the blue flecked line, the black line, or that line over there".

It's not that I get off on "talking like a pirate", it's that these words still refer to jobs and equipment and there is no modern terminology to replace them.

So, HTFU and learn the terminology!
Just to be sure everyone understands - arcane does not mean obsolete or old fashioned, it means obscure or specialized. Every unique function or trade or passtime has its own arcane language which must be learned to communicate precisely in that field.

And by the way.... it's SALOON, not SALON. You get you hair cut in a salon, you drink & eat with your shipmates in the saloon.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook