SailNet Community - View Single Post - nautical language rant
View Single Post
Old 07-17-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Re: nautical language rant

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsaronson View Post
Don't have a clew what you are talking about!
We (I) often take out novices who are along for a joy ride, then we (I) ask them to cleat lines or hand them to me etc without any warning or training. That's why my mainsheet is blue, main halyard blue/white my spinnaker halyard and topping lift are green and white.

yes, dock lines run through chocks, not thingys, the boat has a head, there is a mainsail and a jib. If the metal thing hits you in the head, it goes 'boom'.
Colour coded lines are something I have used for decades - ever since all white was the norm. I used to have dock walkers comment on the "carnival" atmosphere they created.

They are very useful for newbies - "pull hard on the blue line" - but they are also useful when sorting out the knitting on the cockpit sole after a spinnaker gybe. They simply make things quicker and easier to identify - they are still called sheets, guys, halyards etc.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook