SailNet Community - View Single Post - nautical language rant
View Single Post
Old 07-17-2012
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Re: nautical language rant

I remember being dressed down back in the FC days by an uppity ship's captain dude regarding the term "deadlights". He assured me I was wrong in my usage. I wasn't.

The point is, terminology is never as precise as language nerds want it to be. And those that pretend to know it inside and out can be way more annoying than those that don't have a clue. Because they still get stuff wrong.

As long as you walk your crew/guests through the basics, then only expect from them what you've shown them (i.e. - not yell at them to "cap the damn hawse pipe!" if you've not shown them what that is), the yelling and screaming is typically pretty minimal.

This is one of the problems with sailing forums. It's typically all about form and not function.

Just get out and sail for crying out loud.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook