SailNet Community - View Single Post - My dream has always been to live on a sailboat. Tips please
View Single Post
Old 07-17-2012
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Re: My dream has always been to live on a sailboat. Tips please

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaman5 View Post
I have always had a dream of living on a sailboat at some point in my life and looking into it very seriously now that i have recently turned 21. I started competing as a swimmer when i was 3 1/2 years old and ever since then my comfort place has always been by or in the water. Also these past two summers i have been working towards my dive-master certs and absolutely love it. I am very savvy when it comes to boats having been raised on the lake, but have no experience in sailing or sailboats; except a sailing trip to Catalina island when i was about 15.

I'm looking at boats anywhere from 25 to 30 feet, but i am kind of on a tight budget so i am planning on one that will need some elbow grease and love put into her. I actually prefer this too though because it will have that much more meaning to my dream.

I am looking for some suggestions and help with what to really look at when buying a used boat, and also what brands would best be suited for what I am looking for. To start i would be learning to sail, studying, and practicing, but once i am to this point i would mainly be using the boat in a lake but would want one that i will be able to take out in the ocean to travel in someday.

I appreciate any help and advise.
Thank you!
Jared
Go for it!!! I mean it.

In many respects, this is the time to try and get an old boat, fix it up, and get a different perspective on life. I assume you have no kids, no spouse (which actually can be a bad thing... but whatever), and no major career? Your responsibilities at 21 yo are to no one but yourself. When you are 40 and strapped with a mortgage, car payments, two careers, kids in school and college, etc - its a LOT harder to buy a boat and live on it. Most people never do, though they dream about it and look back at when they were 21 and which they had done it.

As was stated above, living on a boat is not cheap (in my opinion, others have creative means to get around it). Certainly living in an apartment is more stress free and easier. But living on a boat has its own unique bnefits, as you can imagine. And YOU get to choose your backyard.

Good luck in it all. Hope it works out.

Brian

PS I am moving this to General Discussion which I think it a better place for it.

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook