SailNet Community - View Single Post - nautical language rant
View Single Post
Old 07-18-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Re: nautical language rant

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorFin View Post
Talk about poking a wasp nest with a short stick...

For me, it all boils down (as Smacky mentioned) to function. You can have the best handle on proper terminology, but unless the folks to whom you are tossing it know it as well you simply are NOT communicating. That can be frustrating for both parties, and can in some instances become dangerous. A smart captain adapts his terminology to meet the learning level of his crew, but also invests the time to train them (if they are interested, that is.)
That's very true as far as non-sailor guests on board. A good host always makes their guests feel welcome and comfortable.

On the other hand, the OP was talking about the language on this and other sailing forums where, presumably, the poster are sailors and should learn, or have learned, the correct nautical terminology.

Or do we want "rubber bumper thingies" and "parking space" to become standard usage?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken, opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook