SailNet Community - View Single Post - Roll-up solar panels
View Single Post
Old 07-18-2012

MarcHall is on a distinguished road
Re: Here's what I got

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffBurright View Post

This means that the panel is predominantly for use while at anchor, but I can lay it out on the deck if I need the juice while under sail. Of course, with 10 feet of panel you have a much higher instance of shading sections of it with a shroud or other somesuch, and slipperiness could become an issue too if you're clambering around on deck. When not in use, I roll the panel up and toss it in the quarterberth.
The panels linked to are amorphous silicon and do not suffer the shading effects of the standard solar panels made of slices of from a silicone crystal. The loss in output is directly related to the % of shading of the amorphous silicon.

The issue with amorphous silicon panels is their expense per watt (or amps) and wattage (or amps) generated per given area of panel is much less then a standard panel.

The two panels are tied together and normally drapped over the boom and tied down to deck fittings when at anchor. If I know I am going to be around for the day then I might offset them to the sunny side of the boat and move them during the day as sun travels across the sky of the boat swings at anchorage.

At times I have also tied them in across the dodger while underway. I have 3 standard panels on the boat as well so these provide a few more watts or a couple of amps of extra current flow into the batteries. For my panels I think the most I have ever seen from each panel is around 1 amp.

At some point I may invest in more of them, particularly if they become lighter and could be incorporated into a sunshade for the boat and/or tied into a sunshade.

Marc Hall
Crazy Fish, Crealock 37, Hull 207
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook