SailNet Community - View Single Post - Puget Sound vs Lake Washington
View Single Post
Old 07-19-2012

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Re: Puget Sound vs Lake Washington

I lived and grew up on the water half way between Kirkland and Juanita bay, back in the days the the little golf course was up at the north end. I could see the water, people to the south had waterfront where I kept the 8' pram I built and sailed in that area. Their would be 3-4' waves when we had some of the higher wind days. MOST of the time, figure if you see a 12-18" wave you will be doing good! The bay itself by the park on the north end, will get some of the rollers, but being as the bay is all of maybe 20' deep thru out, a majority of the waves get washed up/out before hitting the beach, but even so, some BIGGER rollers yet get thru.

The area off of shilshoal is also fairly protected as is the kirkland waterfront, so it is not too bad to learn in. If you were trying to be off of Edmonds as I am now, we weem to get some BIGGER waves here due to fetch, and there also seems to be a bit of a wind funnel, so winds will be 5-10 mph greater here than 5 miles north or south. It does pay to find out, know the area you are in, if any funky wind shifts will occur etc.

good luck and have fun

Marty