SailNet Community - View Single Post - J24 for SF Bay? First sailboat
View Single Post
Old 07-19-2012
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
Re: J24 for SF Bay? First sailboat

Quote:
Originally Posted by twerges View Post
I'm buying my first sailboat and would really appreciate some advice from forum members.

I'm considering buying a sailboat and keeping it on the San Francisco Bay. Basically, I'm looking for a fast and fun daysailor (22'-25'), which can be single-handed easily on the bay. I want something fast and responsive. I do not need (or want) any cruising amenities, as I will rarely or never sleep on the boat. I may want to start racing informally (beer can) in the future. I would prefer something less than $15k. I want something where I can learn to sail better (I've been sailing a lot for about a year now). Usually I sail single-handed, but sometimes I bring one or two adventurous friends along who are not usually sailors.

I was thinking of buying a J24. I think it meets my criteria fairly well. It's fun, fast, not a cruiser, can fit a few adventurous friends, and can be easily had for $10k or so.

My big question is this. Could the J24 be single-handed easily on the San Francisco bay? I've sailed on J24s a bunch of times, but always with other people. I''ve never sailed one single-handed. I thought these boats might be a little inconvenient to single-hand, but perhaps they could be rigged for single-handed sailing to make it easier? Also, the San Fran bay is very windy, sometimes 20+ kts. Is the keel too light on these boats for single-handed sailing in those winds?

I really appreciate any help or advice.
-tw
A J24 is not a boat for a Novice and particularly not on SF Bay. Do yourself a favor and look at some of the boats advertised in Latitude 38 in the size range you're interested in. (Click on Latitude 38 - Classy Classifieds Categories). Once you've got some experience, then consider a J-boat.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook