SailNet Community - View Single Post - Tell us yer Sea Stories
View Single Post
Old 07-19-2012

newportermike is on a distinguished road
Re: Tell us yer Sea Stories

I refused to get on a dinghy one night after we had been drinking on board after a long day of (sober sailing). My buddies went ashore in the dinghy for dinner and they got back safe and sound and of course heckled us for being Pu**ies etc. Next day my buddy Conrad related a story that I will never forget. They had been out on their 36' Pearson all day and returned to New Bedford. Some heavy drinking ensued and at around one am, two of the girls on board expressed their wish to be ferried back to the dock via dinghy. He reluctantly did so, returned to the boat and as he alighted from dinghy it slipped away and he ended up in the water. His brother was on board,heard the splash and came to pull him aboard, which went fine. Now they have to go after the dinghy, so they fire up the engine, unhook from the mooring and begin to set off towards it, BUT did not realize there was a line trailing in the water which promptly gets (you guessed it) twisted around the prop. So now out of control at night in the harbor. Conrad in desperation decides to jump off the bow and reattach the line to the mooring...WHICH HE DOES! All seems to end well (except of course they lost the darn dinghy) and they go to sleep. Only to wake up in the morning to the sound of the keel bouncing off some rocks. The mooring line, it turns out was not properly secured and the boat started to drift in the middle of the night.......along the way it picks up TWO lobster pots and now they are almost aground. So......they call for a tow, which comes to the rescue , but as Conrad tells it, "you should have seen the looks on the commercial fishermen as we got towed in with the lobster pots attached". Moral of the story? Drinking and boating led to many bad decisions, they are lucky that it did not turn out worse!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook