SailNet Community - View Single Post - Largest Semi-Trailerable Sailboat ???
View Single Post
Old 07-19-2012

sail123 is on a distinguished road
Re: Largest Semi-Trailerable Sailboat ???

Interesting thread. I have lurked from the fall of 2011, maybe it is time to jump in.

I was looking for a 32' sailboat, because of my marina, that had a max size of 32' for a slip.

Reading everything I could get my hands on, and all I really knew starting out my search was my 25' MacGregor was way smaller a sailboat than I was going to be comfortable with.

My boat was not going to go on and off the trailer much, once off and once off each season because of the Nebraska winters.

Needing to keep this a small as possible expenditure, I was only looking at used sailboats. I wanted to step the mast ourselves, and launch and recover as well. No desire to pay big marina fees at every turn.

A Hunter 30 is too large to go down the roads without permits, and putting one of those in and out of the water would be a major project that everyone involved (for us) would dread. A Catalina the same thing. The 32' boat even worse!

I happened upon a Clipper Marine 30 that got away, but not before I gave it a look over. I started studying that company, and learned they made a couple different 32's. The size boat I was looking for!

In the CM line, the 21, 23 & 26 and 30 has one level of rigging, and the 32's are built about 30% stronger. Not what one would call blue water, but many people do sail them in blue water if one is careful.

I located a 32 aft cockpit with a 1976 hull number in the spring, and purchased it over the phone. It was a little ruff, but sail-able. A week later, I located what I think of as my favorite sailboat, one I figured I would never find, a CM32 aft cabin, center cockpit, ketch. Try telling your wife, you just purchased a second 32' sailboat in a week!

The 32 are too big to take in and out of the water every weekend, IMHO. That would wear me out; A Mac 25, yes, but a 32 foot keel boat, is to much for that regularity.

For us, it is a start of season, launch, and end of season, recover, and at 32', no big deal for once a year.

We love our CM's They are super heavy duty compared to my Mac 25. Night and day differences as far as hull strength, deck strength. Yet, at about 7500 pounds on a trailer, it is still trailerable to a degree.

Someone suggested the Hake 32RK. That lists at $135,000 for the Biscayne model, and the Belair and Impala version I am sure is pushing $200,000. I do not know about you, but with the economy the way it is, the 1% may be able to justify an expenditure like that, but I cannot swing it.

I payed about $3,000 for my 32 aft cockpit, and I have a little more in my aft cabin. Including trailers! These boats are pretty rare these days, but they are there if one looks.

People that talk down these boats, really do not know what they are talking about. The designer of these boats, is quoted as saying, he was very proud of his Clipper Marine sailboats. One writer said, they were built hell for stout. Most of the people that criticise these boats, have never been near one, and only go by stupid things they have read, and now repeat.

If anyone was going to purchase a Clipper Marine, I would say, one of the best boats ever made, to do the job it was designed to do, trailer anywhere, and have lots of safe fun on the water.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 57357u5.jpg (47.5 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg yjryury.jpg (73.4 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg hjkgkg12w.jpg (94.2 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg uyuyuyuyuyu.jpg (50.7 KB, 23 views)

Last edited by sail123; 07-19-2012 at 08:07 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook