SailNet Community - View Single Post - Curiosity About These "Crew Wanted" Posts
View Single Post
Old 07-19-2012

Loki9 is on a distinguished road
Re: Curiosity About These "Crew Wanted" Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpierson View Post
Well, speaking of inexperienced crew - I'm a Boston area graduate student with a giant itch to get out onto the water! I'm an MIT Sailing member and have taken a handful of classes. Trying to get to the point where I can be confident on my own and I would LOVE the opportunity to volunteer on a larger boat. Any type of coastal trip would be of huge interest to me, as I have time throughout these next few years (and as immediately as this summer) to experiment with.

If anyone can point me in the right direction of where to start in terms of volunteering as a crew on a larger, coastal boat, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!

Drew
pierson.drew@gmail.com
Contact local yacht clubs that host weekly races, just showing up on race night can work. This is a relatively easy and fun way to build experience and also to meet boat owners. I picked up three newbie crew members this season, two from this forum and one who just showed up on race night. All three worked out well and will be invited back for the next series. As a skipper trying to put a crew together for a race series, reliability (showing up for races and practices) was higher on my list than experience.

I don't think I'd take someone new on a long passage, but the crew that I've raced with the past 10 weeks? Sure!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook