SailNet Community - View Single Post - How many young people (say 35 or under)out there
View Single Post
Old 07-20-2012

Supralicious is on a distinguished road
Re: How many young people (say 35 or under)out there

I'm 22, just bought a 15ft dinghy. I don't pretend to be familiar with the scene as I haven't even been out sailing yet but I the lack of forums and sailing resources online leave me thinking that it is definitely an older persons game at this point. That, and a lot of the websites you do find look like they were put up a decade ago using Microsoft Frontpage.

By way of comparison, I've frequented car forums for years and it's an absolutely thriving scene online. Just about every model of car you can think of has multiple online communities associated with it, locally and internationally. There might simply be more motor car enthusiasts than hobby-sailors but given how packed the waters get on a nice summers day, I find it a little bit hard to believe.

I think it can be attributed to the variety of recreational activities available to youth these days. The more options people have when it comes to spending their spare weekends, the less you'll have doing any one thing in particular. Blaming binge drinking or partying is nonsense. Don't try and tell me young people drinking like loons and making a nuisance of themselves is a recent phenomenon. I fear some people have short and selective memories.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook