SailNet Community - View Single Post - Helms 25 Centerboard restoration
View Single Post
Old 07-20-2012

wkupersa is on a distinguished road
Helms 25 Centerboard restoration

Hello all!

I couldn't get back into my slip last weekend and realized that it was because my centerboard had become disconnected from the bracket at the end of the pennant and was hanging down.

With some help, I managed to get a rope around it under both sides of the boat, back to the stern cleats, and to the jib winches, and used that to pull it up enough to get the boat into the slip.

The boatyard hauled the boat on Monday and I got my first look at the bottom and the centerboard. (Boat was a gift and I had never seen the bottom)

The centerboard seems to be badly rusted. (Photos below) I am trying to figure out the best plan moving forward to fix it. I sent the plans that I found online for the centerboard to a machine shop and they want about $2500 for a new one. That includes cutting it out and machine grinding the taper.

Some people have recommended having the existing one sandblasted and to get a welder to add material where it has rusted away. I haven't priced that yet.

I have a couple of questions. What thoughts do people have about how I might fix this? Also, if I decide to sandblast, I guess it would be more thorough to remove the keel from the boat. Has anyone removed the pin that supports it? I know that it is accessible under the port side forward bench. Is it hard to take out and replace?

Here are photos of the centerboard right now. Thanks for any advice!!
--Willie

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook