SailNet Community - View Single Post - Home schooling for Cruisers
View Single Post
Old 07-20-2012
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Home schooling for Cruisers

We will be home schooling the kiddos this time around. I will try and give everyone our thoughts on what has worked, what has not, etc. Anyone can feel free to post thoughts or questions. Thought this might be a good thread for it.

Enroll in Local Schools

Our first option, which we are not going to do but have done before, is to enroll the kids in the area you will be in for a while. I will give you my opinions of it and what works, doesn't etc.

Positives: It gets the kids off the boat. THis is not just a "piece of mind" thing, but also healthy for the kids. Another positive is it allows the kids to really meet lots of friends at their peer group. It is also free, if you enroll as a resident of that state. This typically requires signing a lease for a period of time with a marina, or something similar.

Negatives: Locks you down. Also, many of the projects that kids at home can do become a big issue on a boat (big posters, etc). Also is the issue of gettin them to school and back. Lastly, you have little to no control over the curriculum.

Calvert School

You can find the sight here: Tour of Calvert School

Positives: You take control of the curriculum and have a lot more flexibility on when you turn things in and how. You are not locked to any state. Seems like a solid program also and well thought out. You have various stages of school involvement, or you can run the thing by yourself and be a true home-schooler. You don't have to be connected to the internet.

Negatives: Cost for one. My 8 yo is $1200, while my 12 yo is $1500. ALso, this program requires a lot more hands-on by the parent. You will in some ways become a F/T teacher.

Florida Virtual School

Online High School | Online Middle School | Grades K-12 | Florida Virtual School

Positives: You have more control over the curriculum, but it still follows the SD guidelines you enroll with. It is free, if you are a resident. It is monitored and managed by teachers who are interested and available to help your child during the day. This system is almost like regular school but without them having to go into a classroom. I also like many of the teaching methods here, like how they creatively incorporated history into an online game that seems very forward thinking. Also, YOU, as the parent, choose when to start. It is almost year round school - very similar to a university format.

Negatives: You must have an internet connection daily. You must turn in all homework on Fridays (requiring internet). You must register locally with a school and register as a home schooler for that county.

K12 Online Schools

K12 | Online Public School, Online High School, Online Private School, Homeschooling, and Online Courses options

We are researching this one and will get back to report here.

Brian

PS I will try and edit any incorrect information here if I messed anything up. I also urge anyone else to feel free to post in this thread with relavant information.

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Last edited by Cruisingdad; 07-20-2012 at 03:33 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to Cruisingdad For This Useful Post:
cmuz (08-30-2013)