SailNet Community - View Single Post - Need new center board
View Single Post
Old 07-21-2012

EdWarren is on a distinguished road
Re: Need new center board

First you need a new centerboard. I got mine for my 1992 Mac 26 from a shop in Idaho ( but I don't think they make them any more). Then you need to determine which centerboard mounting Mac used there are two, one inside one outside. Mine was the outside version. If outside you will need a "Bent Wrench" to be able to reach the nut on the bolt that holds the centerboard. I will have to check on the size and specifics, but trust me you cannot do it without it. Then to getting the damned thing out. I used a cradle arrangement. I lowered the bow as far as I could, this raised the stern. Then I bulit two cinder block stacks either side of the stern. Purchased a 6x6 long enough to span the distance. And built up a 'cradle' on the 6x6 to match the shape of the stern. Then back to the bow, I jacked it up, placed a stack of cinder blocks with a wooden block as padding on the bow. This arrangement allowed me to move the trailer just far enough to slip the centerborad down low enough to pull it out forward, then slide the new board into place and bolt it in, then reverse everything. If you want to try this approach, then post here and I will see if I can find my pictures and provide more details.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook