View Single Post
Old 11-10-2006
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
I need to keep this on the cheap

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple72
Hi,

I'm the newish owner of an O'day 272. The boat came cheap after the Surveyer detected some moisture in the starboard chain plate.

After reading Don Casey's Hull and Deck Repair I got the impression that I just needed to pull, inspect and reseal the plates.

Now I'm thinking that I should add the additional steps of drying the core with a heat gun, cooling then flushing the area with accetone. Then (i think) I'll dig out about a half inch of the core and fill with thickened epoxy. reinstall, seal (Boat Life), ect.

SO...three questions?
Does this sound like an appropriate course of action?

What kind of damage to the plates indicates replacement

What exectly is the bulkhead? A local 272 owner asked me "how are your bulkheads?" Many of the 272 racers out here have these threaded rods bolted to the hull that attached to the chainplate via a SS turnbuckle.

Thanks for your comments,

Rich NYC/Eastern LI

PS Keep in mind that I need to keep this on the cheap
Yikes, didn't the surveyor advise as to the scope and nature of the necessary repairs? From my experience there is often nothing more expensive than a cheap boat...If the surveyor has left you clueless, you should take this tread to an O'Day forum to find out what other owners have faced. There are a lot of these boats, you won't be facing something unique. Here's an example thread to review: http://www.sailboatowners.com/forums...06311124214.40

In general if you have wet core you need to dry it out, if the core has rotted you need to replace it. If you chainplates attach to a bulhead (panel) and the bulkhead is rotten, now you face some real work, this is where cheap could become expensive. Good luck.

FWIW always remember that a seller has close to perfect knowledge about the boat being sold, whereas the buyer has at best only a partial picture of what the seller knows, how partial depends on the throughness and expertise of the surveyor. At best a buyer pays what a boat is worth, often as not they pay more than its worth.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook